Thursday, October 10, 2013

UCDT's Plug and Play Provisioning Engine - MS SQLServer 2012 Setup


I thought I would spend some time to work with the UCDT provisioning engine's plug-n-play architecture. I designed this a couple of years ago with another developer and the development team implemented it. So, it is really long over-due to have a look under the covers.


What I found is that it is that our design was spot-on! It is extremely easy to write OEM code and plug it into UCDT although I do have to perform a couple minor manual steps to make it work properly. That's not a problem because I am sure there will be future changes made by the development team so that it will be a smooth, 100% effortless process to plug new code into the system.


For my first OEM UCDT engine, I brushed off some old code that I had laying around for provisioning to a MSSQL Server database. I went ahead and installed SQLServer 2012 Express on my PC and set it up so that I could access it from remote application. In hind-sight this was easy, but, finding everything that had to be turned on was a bit of a pain in the backside.

First, I had to make sure the proper services were running, the SQL Server and SQL Server Browser. After installed they were set to 'Disabled', I only had to right mouse-click on them to set them to 'Automatic':



Next, I had to turn on Named Pipes and TCP/IP. I found that this had to be set up in the SQL Server Configuration Manager:

After I did that (and don't forget you have to restart the SQL Service). I had to set the TCP Port. For me, I just set all of these "TCP Port" entries to 1433, but, there is an entry at the bottom titled "IP All" which I assume means I can just set it once there and move on. I had been struggling to get this to work for so long I didn't want to leave anything to chance so I set them all.


Now, with that set I could build the MSSQL 2012 Provision Engine Code, this was simply a matter of writing code that would take a template body and then process it. I will share that code shortly, but, for now that is all I will update in this post.



No comments:

Post a Comment